November 05, 2005

How to out friends and influence people....

After yesterday's post, I was reminded of another cringemaking conversation I once had while working in an Irish pub, which my friend has never let me forget.

I was chatting with one of the hardened regulars about his home in Northen Ireland, when the conversation turned to one of the other bar staff, Matt, who was from Armagh.

"So, what foot does Matt kick the ball with then?"

As Matt is camper than Millet's, and not giving a thought to politics, I thought the answer was fairly obvious, so I laughed and said, "Yes, it's true, Matt is gay."

(Punter's jaw drops into Guinness)

"Matt's gay!!!!! I just wanted to know if he was Catholic or Protestant!"

Well, how was I to know?

2 Comments:

At 11:32 pm, Blogger Meegan said...

This is great. I'm loving all the pub stories! And I'm sure you have many more up your sleeve...

 
At 10:10 am, Blogger Nerdine said...

*lol*
Nice story!
Reminds me of a story an american friend of mine told me once. She was in a bar in England with some friends, and this guy sits down beside her and they start talking. After talking som time, my friend would really like to dance so she asks tha guy if he'd like to "shag".
poor guy - he thought he'd met this really forward american girl and thought he was going to get laid, and all she wanted was to dance...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home