December 17, 2005

Mendacity and mobiles...

I should be looking fabulous by now.

Being desperately in need of a trim and having at least four inches of my natural hair colour showing, I finally got around to booking myself in to get my hair done. I promptly turned up at the salon this morning to get my head covered in tin foil and listen to inane conversation.

I was greeted at the reception desk by a 16 year old Broom Monkey who politely stared at me.

Kellycat: "I have an appointment at 9.30 with Amanda"

Broom monkey: "Oh. Amanda went home sick yesterday. I tried to call you."

Kellycat: "On my mobile?"

Broom monkey: "Yeah. This number here."

Kellycat: "Yes, that's the correct number. You tried to call me yesterday?"

Broom monkey: "Er, yeah. But nobody answered. Can I make you another appointment? We're open all day next Saturday."

I then interrogated Broom Monkey very sternly on the fact that I had no missed calls, my voicemail kicks in after ten rings, and that no messages had been left for me either. Even if she had mis-dialled the number, why didn't she keep trying until she got hold of me? Broom monkey wept, apologised profusely and promised me a free hair cut.*

*Actually, I very uncharacteristally did none of that, and meekly made a new appointment. Am now furious at Broom Monkey for so blatantly lying to me, and furious at myself for not challenging her about it. Once Amanda has finished doing my hair next week I shall take it up with her and haggle for a discount (I'm not stupid enough to argue with my hairdresser before she does my hair).

I also had the indignity of then having to go into the town centre to do my shopping with pre-salon hair, and am now left with crap hair for a further week. I just thank god that I don't have a social life.

5 Comments:

At 9:47 pm, Blogger Wyndham said...

Yes, just make sure you get your hair done before you start complaining loudly about them. Cross ref: waiters, dentists, brain-surgeons, etc.

 
At 12:58 pm, Blogger GreatSheElephant said...

I admire your restraint. I would have had a huge and embarrassing tantrum. Time to change salons?

 
At 4:49 pm, Blogger Donna said...

I complained about the fact that my hairdresser always keeps me waiting. The time before last I waited 45 mins past my appt time before he even started. So I complained. He reduced my bill from £26.95 to £10 (it was just a cut). Result. And he promised to "drop everything" next time I came in. And he did (not his pants).

 
At 4:57 pm, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I hate having to go with out getting my hair done, especially when I've left it too long and the real (grey) me is starting to show!

Good luck kellycat.
You need to get someone over there to help you learn how to throw hissy fits. Know anyone? :-)

 
At 10:23 am, Blogger Spinsterella said...

We're not great at complaining round my part of the world either.

Some years ago my mother popped into the bar where my sister was working for some food. Her veggie lasagne was still frozen in the middle (as veggie lasagne usually is in pubs), but she didn't send it back to be re-heated because she was worried that she'd get my sister into trouble.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home