January 02, 2006

2006, eh?

Happy New Year to you all. Hope the hangovers have abated at least a little.

So I suppose I should be making resolutions, but as I will never keep them, I don't really see the point.

2005 saw me gain a GCSE in Spanish after two years of evening classes. I had always wanted to learn Spanish, but it wasn't an option at my school. When my parents bought a place in Spain a few years ago, I gave me some motivation, and as my company were willing to pay for my tuition expenses in return for the odd piece of translation work, I finally did it. The morning of my reading and writing exams, I memorised two sheets which showed me how to conjugate the various tenses. By that evening I had forgotten all of them, but my tactic was sufficient to get me an A*. While I can still read and understand the language sufficiently to get by, I cannot write or speak it, having no memory of basic grammar to be able to construct a sentence. In a fortnight's time I am starting a short course of intermediate conversation with my old teacher in order to brush up a little. That means I now have two weeks to actually learn how to conjugate (or subjugate as Wyndham appropriately has it) my verbs so as not to humiliate myself. No doubt I will fail to do this, and end up doing what I do best, that is, winging it.

However this course will help me in another way, and that is, because this course is at a school about 2 and a half miles away, and not on a bus route from my house, I will have to bike there. I didn't have a bike in my teens, and only acquired one in 2004. Although I can obviously still ride, I am not very confident on the open road. I got lights and a lock as stocking fillers this Christmas, by way of a hint, and I have now been out and bought myself a helmet so I can cycle in safety, if not with dignity. This five miles of cycling once a week will form at least one part of my new exercise regime.

I saw myself in the mirror the other day and realised I was only an orange perm and some tan lines away from being Bubbles de Vere. As I am off to the Caribbean in two months, this is not good. Duck and I have decided that the diet officially starts tomorrow, so tomorrow morning will be the first of the weigh-ins. I have decided to shame myself into starving by publishing my weight once a week on my blog, in a cheaper version of Weightwatchers. Paul Mckenna will also be series-linked on Sky+. Luckily, my football training also starts again next week, so that should help to shift a bit (I bought shiny new shinpads this morning - what a glamourous life I lead*) and if Surly can assist by forcing me to the gym once a week, I might just get there. I despise dieting though, so expect me to be in a really bad mood for the next few months.

So there you go. I don't regard learning Spanish properly and losing weight as proper resolutions, because I think resolutions are something you do to try to actually improve yourself. As these are more like acts of desperation to avoid humiliating myself, they don't count.

*I actually made a bit of a Freudian slip and typed "need" instead of "lead" the first time. I'm wondering if I should have bothered correcting it. Sigh.

6 Comments:

At 10:17 pm, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

My hat is off to you miss kellycat. I'm interested to see how your cheaper version of weight watchers works out. Although I'm not planning a trip to the Caribbean, I'm on a health/fitness journey too so feel free to scream for comfort/support :-)

 
At 9:36 am, Blogger surly girl said...

i'm going to the gym tomorrow night if you'd care to join me? am very much looking forward to not fitting into my gym trousers and bitterly regretting all those fags i smoked over crimbo. am also (apparently) going on thursday and friday so there's really no excuse.

 
At 10:55 am, Blogger MinCat said...

lucky! place in spain and trip to caribbean, DREAMS! however, im rather good with the spanish and um really the only thing you can ever do is talk it. its really frustrating at first and then suddenly one day you realise you're babbling. it helps to get drunk wiht native speakers too. :D as for weight...im trying too so you have all my sympathy. good luck! and a happy new year.

 
At 5:59 pm, Blogger Whinger said...

*Nodding my head in agreement with make it new regarding need to just immerse oneself in Spanish-speaking country*

Am VERY admiring that you will post your weight. I think it's brilliant and would copy except that I don't want to post my weight. Even considering I am very tall, no one should be exposed to that many numbers.

 
At 12:50 pm, Blogger Spinsterella said...

Oh God.

I have been talking about learning Spanish for ever. I even bought myself one of those teach-yourself-cassette programmes to give me a head start *when* I joined an evening class.

That was about 6 years ago...

 
At 3:24 pm, Blogger frangelita said...

Weight loss target - v worthy although I, at an inch shorter than you, have been desperate to lose a couple of stone for ages to reach your current weight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home