November 15, 2005

Things I shouldn't be doing in work (Part 1)

Listing my favourite Excel functions:

CHIINV – Returns the inverse of the one-tailed probability of the chi-squared distribution. (i.e. calculates exactly how many acupuncture needles need to be stuck into delicate parts of you, depending on what Chinese zodiac sign you were born under)

CHITEST – Returns the test for independence : the value of the chi-squared distribution for the statistic and the appropriate degrees of freedom (i.e. calculates how much your ex’s maintenance payments should be)

CLEAN – Removes all nonprintable characters from text (i.e. calculates your relation to the IT department divided by your ability to get rude words through your company’s email filter)

CONFIDENCE – Returns the confidence interval for a population mean (i.e. calculates how many people within a particular region would consider speed-dating)

COUNTBLANK – Counts empty cells in a specified range of cells (used in fertility testing)

DGET – Extracts from a database a single record that matches the conditions you specify (used in the building of internet dating websites)

DSTDEV – Estimates the standard deviation based on a sample from selected database entries (i.e. calculates the likelihood of your husband wearing your underwear when you’re not at home)

FIND – Finds one text string within another text string and returns the number of the starting position of the found string (which is never where you thought you’d left it)

FISHER – Returns the Fisher transformation (which charts the rise from Home and Away starlet to Hollywood D-list bit-parter)

FTEST – Returns the result of an F-test: the one-tailed probability that the variances in Array1 and Array2 are not significantly different (i.e. calculates the number of swear words used in an argument where Array1 is “Barley White” and Array2 is “Natural Hessian”)

SKEW – Returns the skewness of a distribution: a characterization of the degree of asymmetry of a distribution around its mean (i.e. the amount your figures are out because of management giving cheap deals to people their brother met in a bar once.)

As you were...

9 Comments:

At 4:25 pm, Blogger surly girl said...

i'm such an excel geek that made me laugh out loud (well, the bits i could understand did).

can i just throw a bit of existential angst in? consider for a moment the sheer futility of it all. here we both are, supposedly hard at work, some twenty feet apart. you're blogging about excel, over at mine i'm begging for people to tell me jokes.

it's not exactly art, is it?

 
At 4:36 pm, Blogger Kellycat said...

Now that I'm not having so much time off sick I'm struggling to get through a full five day week.

I'm bored to tears.

The fact that we're only twenty feet apart and communicating via the comments on my blog (and UC's) is also quite tragic.

Anyone else, please feel free to join in...

 
At 6:26 pm, Blogger Whinger said...

This did make me laugh, especially the IT one.

Ah work. You provide so many hours for entertainment.

 
At 10:14 am, Blogger Lee said...

Ha! I love you, Kellycat.

How about:
TRAWL: The exponential likelihood of your boss coming around the corner just as you accidentally open a NSFW file.

 
At 1:08 pm, Blogger Urban Chick said...

what are you saying, woman?

this is a marvellously well constructed list!

 
At 3:39 pm, Blogger Meegan said...

I do freelance work and am in grad school now, but I wish to god I had discovered blogging back when I was working full time. I would have had a new post every day!

 
At 6:45 pm, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

I didn't realize that you and sg work together.
Your comments here made me laugh out loud!

 
At 1:46 pm, Blogger Donna said...

1. I did actually just have to go and check whether those functions existed or whether you made them up. (either way I would have been impressed)

2. Do you actually do that kind of statistical analysis at work? If so, can we swap jobs please. I love data, maths and management information.

3. Did I really just say that out loud for the whole world to see????

 
At 2:28 pm, Blogger Kellycat said...

I don't do statistical analyis at all. I leave that kind of thing to SG.

My job actually involves keeping our top customers sweet, which means taking abuse from them on a daily basis, and occasionally writing very patronising copy to get them to spend more money. If I was to hand my notice in, I would guarantee that there would not be one internal application, as everybody here knows how shit my job is (mainly because I've been telling them so for three years).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home