January 24, 2006

Warning: contains earworms and politics

Duck changed the bedsheets on Sunday night. Last night I could feel something sticking out at the end of the bed by my feet. I got out of bed to pull the sheet back, expecting to find that a spring had come through the mattress. I found an inch and a half long nail on top of the mattress.

I have asked Duck to launch a full enquiry and expect to be presented with a detailed typed report, but so far: nothing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I can’t remember the details, my dreams last night involved being in the Caribbean. I can only assume that this is the reason why I woke up this morning with “Agadoo” in my head. This has only partially been replaced by Green Day/Bryan Adams. That is, there’s a line in “Jesus of Suburbia” that in my head segues into “Summer of 69”. I’m not sure which of those two earworms is worse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don’t tend to do political on this blog but David Cameroon was on BBC Breakfast this morning and he referred to the events of “7/7”. I know that the American system of dating differs to ours, hence “9/11”, but what’s wrong with “7th July”? I can’t fully explain why I don’t like “7/7” or “9/11” but to me it feels like a marketing team has sat round a table and decided that “7/7” just sounds a bit snappier. It’s got a bit more pizzazz. The kids will relate to it better. It feels like a logo, and somehow, that seems to lessen the impact of what happened. How long before we start calling Armistice Day “11/11”? It just doesn’t seem right. Sorry. (I’m getting old aren’t I?)

10 Comments:

At 5:55 pm, Blogger Urban Chick said...

i do hope it's going to be an independent inquiry - i mean, if mr duck is in charge, surely it will be riddled with corruption?

and i totally agree (ITA in blogspeak) with you re the date thing

and why are we having to say 'the july 7th bombings'? it's 7th july - date first, month second

grrrrrrrrrrr

pedants of the world unite!

 
At 5:56 pm, Blogger Urban Chick said...

p.s. i love how the tory leader is from an african country - i'm gonna start calling him 'the cameroon' too now

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger Gareth said...

7/7 just sounds like a cheap limited hours corner shop,

 
At 7:34 pm, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Oh, is this Duck's way of ensuring you get nailed? heh, heh.

perhaps you are feeling a big crabby due to the diet and all. It is easily overlooked...

 
At 7:44 pm, Blogger Kellycat said...

KG - Duck says don't be rude!

 
At 11:43 pm, Blogger Steve said...

No! you're not getting old!

Or maybe I am too.

Imagine if it had happened on a day that didn't have the same day/month numbers. The Americans would've been saying "You got bombed on the 7th August as well? Geez!"

 
At 1:21 am, Blogger Meegan said...

So you guys drive on the wrong side of the road AND mix up the date and month order?? Sheesh!

(Sorry, I'm just mad at you for getting "Summer of 69" stuck in my head.)

 
At 11:32 am, Blogger Fuckkit said...

The worst one to get stuck in your head is Show Me The Way To Amirillo.

Oops, sorry...

 
At 11:53 am, Blogger frangelita said...

The date thing irritates me a lot. But not as much, I suspect, as I would be irritated if I discovered a nail in my bed. V, v suspicious...

 
At 4:05 pm, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

Dear Duck-come on, confess!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home