November 22, 2005

Any signs of life...?

I spent yesterday on a first aid course. My fellow students were all men, and as they were all involved in manual trades, we had to learn what to do in the event of an amputated digit. Being an office worker, I hoping that the most serious thing I’ll have to cope with is a nasty paper cut or broken nail.

However, the best thing about the course was our instructor, Margaret. Margaret was in her late fifties, and was very matronly. She had the kind of shelf-like bosom that I hope to cultivate when I get to her age, which was coupled with a slight dowager’s hump and very skinny legs. The majority of my fellow students were chavs in their early twenties. They found it highly amusing when the air escaped from the Annie dolls and made a farting noise. Needless to say, Margaret did not. She was not going to suffer any giggling on her watch.

As I didn’t know anyone else there, I had no shame in showing off and eagerly (and smugly) answering any questions asked. This lead to Margaret having to say, “Come on now, this lady’s answering all of the questions, we need some answers from this side of the room”. In my defence, one of the first things Margaret had taught us was that in any situation, we were the most important people.

I am now very confident in resuscitation and CPR, but struggle with a sling. My bandaging is exceptionally neat though, and I have proved that, should somebody knock their varicose vein, I can also bandage very quickly. As Duck had done first aid twenty years ago in the Boy’s Brigade, we had an argument last night on the correct way to put somebody into the recovery position. Having every confidence in Margaret’s teaching, I managed to win that argument in the time honoured fashion of talking louder than he did.

5 Comments:

At 4:23 pm, Blogger Whinger said...

It's good to know that SG is in competent CPR hands at the office.

I was once made to take the First Aid class when I was a coach. I randomly took it with a bunch of school bus drivers who also laughed at the farting Annie doll. I spent the whole class concentrating on making sure that enough rubbing alcohol went on Annie's mouth between CPR-practice exchanges. My lips were horribly chapped the next day.

 
At 8:56 pm, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

LOL-can't believe we've all had farting Annie dolls to deal with all over the world.
Years ago when I was in high school and I first took First Aid, they wanted us to feel what it was like to resuscitate a 'live' person so made us pick a partner and do it on them. I just get the heebie jeebies remembering what it was like to do that to a total stranger (guy). Yuck!

Then came the AIDS epidemic and all of a sudden hygiene became really imporant. Yay!

 
At 12:16 am, Blogger Meegan said...

First aid = good thing to know, but I personally very much enjoyed my self-defense class in college. If I ever want to poke anyone's eyeballs out, I've got the skills to do so.

 
At 4:32 pm, Blogger Betty said...

I did a work first aid course in the 1980's and the only thing I can remember is that when we got to the break the old boy who was instructing us said "now - there's a choice of coffee and tea which we'll have to make ourselves ... would you two young ladies like to do the honours?"

Needless to say, there were two of us "young ladies" on the course and about thirty men. I don't think the idea of women leaving the kitchen had reached the midlands in those days.

 
At 5:01 pm, Blogger Kellycat said...

You wouldn't get that from Margaret.

"You can help yourselves to tea and coffee. But mine's half a spoonful of Nescafe and a lot of milk."

They don't make women like Margaret anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home