November 27, 2005

Puppies

Not the yapping, furry, drooling, nibble-at-your-ankle kind, but the jiggling, give-you-two-black-eyes-if-you-run-for-a-bus kind.

As I am apprantly rather sensitive to the hormones flooding my body, various medical attempts have been made to balance them out a bit. Now the vast majority of the time, I am a "more than a handfull's a waste" 34C. However, the last experiment to get my hormones on the straight and narrow resulted in me temporarily going up to a 34D. I was quite proud of what I now regarded as a heaving bosom. (However, as their emergence had coincided with a fortnight's holiday in Spain, there were rumours at work that I had been away to have plastic surgery.) When the experiment was abandoned after I suffered a three day long migraine, they eventually deflated back to their original size.

The current experiment, combined with my diet holiday, has meant that my bras were making me appear to have four breasts, and once or twice I nearly had what I believe is now called a "wardrobe malfunction". The tape measure came out, and I worked out that I was somewhere between a 36B and a 36C. M&S kindly confirmed that for me this afternoon. Determined that I had to go home with at least some form of structural engineering, I have spent this afternoon trawling the high street for a bra that fits, which meant taking everything into the changing rooms in two sizes to see which fitted better. Nothing in M&S appealed, and Debenham's appeared to have virtually no stock on the racks at all. I found an attractive set of two bras in Next. I went into the changing rooms, took off my top and bra, then swore loudly, redressed and stormed out.

- "Were they OK for you?"
- "Not really seeing as they are tagged together."

I delivered a very withering look and flounced out. If I could have slammed the shop door I would have done. By the time I got to Contessa I was literally weeping tears of frustration. The sales assistant treated me, understandably, with kid gloves. We tried the 36B's and 36C's that the tape measure said I was but got no joy. We decided to just go with trying various sizes and styles until we found one that did what it was supposed to, that is, be comfortable, supportive and cradle everything they're supposed to with no chance of anything escaping. I eventually left with one bra, and will be purchasing another after they get their next delivery in on Thursday. I will also be adding sales assistant to my Christmas card list.

I am now the proud owner of a black bra, size 34DD. I feel like Hattie Jacques.

14 Comments:

At 7:58 pm, Blogger surly girl said...

you and your bras, madam. honestly, your norks should have their own blog.

 
At 3:49 am, Blogger Meegan said...

Wow, this is like an alternate universe for me. The other day I thought to myself, "I wish my stomach was as flat as my chest."

You are not alone in your bra troubles, however! Read Urban Chick's tale of bra woe from a few months back.

 
At 10:37 am, Blogger Donna said...

I gave up buying bras in shops long ago. I have found internet shopping the best and buy a stack of bras, try them on at home and send back the ones that don't fit. Bravissimo and figleaves are the best!!

Hope your puppies are sitting comfortably today :)

 
At 2:48 pm, Blogger Lee said...

Goodness. I'm a screaming gaylord, but even I couldn't resist a jubble of a 34DD set of funbags!

 
At 6:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are non-funtional bras what are referred to as "tat for tit"?

 
At 8:44 pm, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

ROTFL. You are the second person I know to refer to getting black eyes from the puppies (or 'the girls').
Bra shopping is hell. For years I knew what size I was then I had kids. Oy! I now have about 5 different sizes in my drawer and none of them fit quite right. Also, after my second baby my ribcage got bigger but my norks, post breasfeeding, got smaller. Very discouraging!

 
At 8:46 pm, Blogger Kyahgirl said...

oh, and p.s., sorry about the hormone hell too! That sucks. Drugs help :-)

 
At 9:09 pm, Blogger Juggling Mother said...

I remember being a 34DD

Then I got pregnant

Again

and again

I'm scared to go get them measured now!

I've convinced myself they will shrink again when I stop feeding next Feb.

And my body will miraculously shrink back to my 18 year old size too:-)

I don't know what Mr A's excuse is tho:-)

 
At 9:10 pm, Blogger Whinger said...

I have never, ever, ever, been more than an A. In all honesty, I should be a AA, but hate buying bras in the pre-teen section. So bra shopping just sucks all around.

Am a little jealous.

Hormone hell sucks.

 
At 9:42 pm, Blogger Urban Chick said...

NO-ONE is really a 36B/C - it's what everyone THINKS they are

or at least that's what the people at the very posh expensive measure-the-queens-boobs bra shop told me before they led me to cough up a three figure sum for two bras, one of which cut off the circulation to midriff, causing my liver to malfunction

(ach well, who needs a liver, right?)

 
At 10:50 am, Blogger surly girl said...

am managing perfectly well without mine..

 
At 12:43 pm, Blogger Donna said...

SG - you have no liver?? Blimey Days, is that how you manage to drink so much Stella?

 
At 8:04 am, Blogger MinCat said...

oh god that sounds like me any time im ever bra-hunting. they say 36D then they give me 38C and they tut tut about how they dont MAKE 36D over in this country and eventually i just walk around looking like i have 4 beasts most of the time.

ps. i say that typo, but its such a luffly aopt one im goign to leave it in. not that i take out the rest.

 
At 1:36 pm, Blogger Kellycat said...

Thank you Lee. I'll take that as a compliment. Being permanently in my eye-line, even I'm distracted by them.

Having now taken the bra out for a spin, I've discovered that there are still some containment issues, but we're more stable than we were.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home